Friday, November 28, 2008

Lasting Impressions(Part1) : The Old Man and His Son

      "Nani",a  quiet old, probably 70 years old person, used to visit my home to meet my father for Homeopathic treatment, for almost a decade. He had become almost a regular patient naturally because of his old-age problems. His son sometimes used to accompany him. He used to reside in Kunkoliem village on the foothills of Kundaim, a place famous for its "pineapples", huge, fresh, juicy pineapples, not available anywhere else. Anytime if u have been traveling on the ponda-panjim highway during rainy season, u would see vendors sitting with heaps  of pineapples along the national highway. Nani too was one of the owners of pineapple gardens.
Nani was the oldest person in that village and was also a famous quack. People used to visit him for treatment of Rabies, but don't know how much it was effective.
Every year during the rains, mostly in July-Aug,when the pineapple production is at its peak, Nani used to give us a cluster of 7-8 pineapples. My grandma used to prepare jam from those pineapples. I still get nostalgic when i see any jam. I used to love it!. This tradition continued until one day we heard somewhere in September that "Nani", passed away.I was  barely 8 years that time.
Days passed and rainy days were back again, and whenever i used pass by the highway, seeing the  piled up pineapples used to remind me of "Nani".It was almost 10months since Nani passed away. I used to go home and ask my mother, when will "Nani", bring pineapples?, reply used to be "Now Nani is dead, we won't get anymore pineapples now".
One day it was raining heavily in the afternoon, and the bell rang. I opened the door guess who was he? Nani's son!. And what what in his hand..... ? You r right! I took the huge cluster of pineapples tied to-gather and  ran inside!, Shouting "Aaiii"(mamaa)....

P.S. Sometimes in life something extraordinary happens to us or we meet people who rise above the normal, because of their different way of thinking and doing. I don't know if Nani told his son to give pineapples even after his death and his son fulfilled his wishes, or his son thought it on his own to do so. In either case Nani and his son (Whose name i don't remember now), are among the those extraordinary people who keep humanity alive and leave a lasting impression on those involved, who are sensitive enough to apprehend it!. 

2 comments:

Priyaranjan Anand Marathe said...

Ya, even my father tells a tale. As a young kid one old farmer came to our to ask for areca nuts(supari). As the guy was a habitual borrower my grandpa said there was no supari. Hearing this my father ran inside and emptied a huge stack of suparis in front of the old chap. This old fellow remembered this for years, even on the day he died. Those were the days and people in old days.

Vibhav said...

Wonderful....I m waiting for something on terrorism.